Famous Poets in our Midst!

Very proud teacher right here!!!!!!!!! I knew some of my students were fantastic writers but they have been blowing me away lately! This week we used concrete nouns (something you can touch or hold), the word "of", and abstract nouns (something you can't touch- ideas or perhaps a feeling) centered around a concept, topic, or place, etc...of interest. I gave the example of my daughters' fairy garden. I saw this at an Abydos session in Dallas. Each student was given a lined index card they folded in half. On the fold they drew a straight line and then wrote the word of going down the center of the card on each line.
At the top of the card, each student wrote their topic. On the left side they listed concrete nouns. On the right side they listed abstract nouns. After they have finished, they have a rough poem, they may stop there or add to it. We also found that it is not just a poem, each line is an idea for a story. So in my poem, my first line- Nest of love, prompted me to write an entire story about building my daughter's fairy garden. So now each student really has a page full of ideas or starts for future writing, much like a quick list!


ON TO THE GOOD STUFF- THE STUDENT EXAMPLES!!! I COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD AND WILL POST MORE AS THEY FINISH. :) WAY TO GO 2ND GRADERS!!!


Advanced Warfare 
(his favorite video game)
by Jaiden Castillo
Gideon of anger
Zombie of warfare
Juggernaut of chaos
Weapon of destruction
Secret of freedom
Helicopter of doom
Attack of justice
Turret of death
Camera of distraction
Tank of madness

My Birthday
by Kendyll Bell
Pom-poms of love
Spiderman of madness
Cake of joy
Ice cream of faith
Games of doom
Boys of anger
Girls of happiness
Babies of noise
Parents of caring
Me of friendship
Mom of flight
Sister of ugliness

Forest
by Alexis Gomez
Animals of noise
Dangers of badness
Medicine of health
Food of love
Thorns of doom
Grass of fantasy
Jaguars of evil
Mongooses of anger
Fruit of faith
Flowers of colors
Butterflies of friendship
Dirt of amazement
Bees of fright
Rocks of force
Sticks of protection
Water of death
Snake of rage




0 comments:

Post a Comment